||Wolfgang Imig Software Solutions
ITOL: Issue Tracker Addin for Microsoft Outlook and
ITOL creates issues for Redmine
from within Microsoft Outlook. It seamlessly integrates with the
mail inspector and explorer windows. It allows to enter properties
and add additional file attachments for new and already existing
The selected mail can be attached to the issue in the
formats: Outlook MSG, MTHML and RTF. For MHTML or RTF, the mail
attachments are added to the issue as separate files.
When creating an issue, the mail subject is prefixed by the
issue ID. Thus, when you answer the mail and in turn get a reply,
the issue ID is recognized and the related issue can be read from
ITOL is free of charge and can be used under the terms of the MIT
license. The source code is available here.
Feedback and Support
If you encounter problems, have any questions, or want to suggest enhancements, please use the issue
tracker at GitHub. You can also send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Windows 7 or newer
- Outlook 2010 or 2016 is required. Outlook Express is not
- Redmine 2.6.x or Redmine 3.0.0. See below "Working with
Redmine VM image...".
- Uninstall previous ITOL version.
- Download the ITOL setup appropriate to your Outlook
Hint: It is irrelevant, whether Windows is 32bit or 64bit.
On 64bit Windows, Outlook is a 32bit application if it
appears as OUTLOOK.EXE*32 in Task Manager.
- (A Java Runtime is not required since ITOL is a
self-contained JavaFX application.)
- Please read section 3. in the readme
file before connecting the first time: "... This program
creates a project with identifier "itol-configuration" ..."
Working with Redmine VM image from bitnami
- A free and fully configured Redmine virtual machine image
can be found here: bitnami
Redmine Virtual Machines.
- In order to run the image, install
- The URL to Redmine's website and REST API is displayed
- Logon to Redmine (http://192.168.0.14) as "user", password
"bitnami". Click "Administration (upper left corner) -
Authentication", check "Enable REST web service". Click "Save".
- Click "Projects" (upper left corner) and create a project.
- Click "Administration - Users". To create a user, click
"New user" in the upper right corner. Click "Create".
- Select tab "Projects". Select a project in frame "New
project". Check roles, e.g. "Developer". Click "Add".
- Click "My account" (upper right corner). On the right hand
side, click "Show" below "API access key". Copy the key into the
- Start Outlook. Click "File - Issue Tracker". Enter the
"Redmine URL" and paste the "API key" from the clipboard. Click
"Save". A message box says "Configuration saved ..."
- Open a received mail. Click the toolbar button "New
issue". The task pane needs some seconds to get visible when it is
activated the first time after Outlook was started.
- Change some issue properties and click "Create issue".
- Hint: In order to shutdown the Redmine VM image,
logon as "bitnami", password "bitnami". Enter "sudo shutdown -h
now". Enter password "bitnami".
ITOL uses the following technologies
- A task pane is integrated with the mail inspector window.
It shows a JavaFX scene embedded in a native Windows window by
means of JOA.
- A page is added in the backstage view to edit the
configuration properties. While this page is created with
Outlook-owned controls, the UI events are handled in Java.
- Issues are created via Redmine REST API. The calls are
the script code is loaded from an external file, you are able to
customize the issue without re-compiling the addin.
- When creating an issue, the issue ID is inserted into the
mail subject and the mail is saved via Outlook API calls using
JOA's Java-COM bridge.
- Redmine's original issue description editor is shown in a
JavaFX WebView control.